About us...

Two moms trying to raise their families a little greener, a little healthier, and with a whole lot of love. All this while trying to save a little green along the way. Product reviews, green ideas, money-saving tips, and more!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

The World Alliance for Breastfeeding Awareness has announced that world breastfeeding week is August 1 - 7, 2009. The benefits of breastfeeding for baby and mom are endless. I won't write a whole book on all the benefits but I will name a few. For the child breastfeeding can protect against gastrointestinal trouble, respiratory problems and ear infections. There is also evidence that it can protect the infant from developing allergies, may boost intelligence, may protect against obesity, and may lower the risk of SIDS. Breastfeeding also help mom to shed some of that baby weight, it lowers stress levels, can protect against some types of cancer, and can protect against osteoporosis. The benefits I have listed are not even scratching the surface of what breastfeeding can offer to both baby and mom. A couple of my favorite resources regarding breastfeeding issues are: La Leche League and kellymom.com .

I am so fortunate to have been able to provide the nourishment of breast milk for T through his first year of life. That's not to say that is was easy! There were many times when I had to contact local lactation consultants for support or to answer questions. After I returned to work it was truly a job in itself to make sure that I maintained my milk supply. My husband and I even bought a deep freezer so I could stock pile frozen sheets of milk in case I wasn't able to maintain through pumping. If I remember correctly at the height of my storage I had upwards of 800 ounces! My pump and I became trusted friends and it was difficult for me to pack it away and let myself dry up when the time came to transition T to cow's milk. If I could have continued to provide T with the nutrients of breast milk for a few more months I gladly would have. However, I had to stop due to personal reasons. I did meet my goal of 1 year and I am so happy that I could provide that gift to my son.

In celebration of world breastfeeding week we will review or discuss a new item each day that is designed to make breastfeeding a little easier or a little more comfortable. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment