About us...

Two moms trying to raise their families a little greener, a little healthier, and with a whole lot of love. All this while trying to save a little green along the way. Product reviews, green ideas, money-saving tips, and more!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

More birthdays in the Gaga Greenies Family!

My son, E, is turning one tomorrow- just a couple weeks after T's big day! Unfortunately, over a month ago, he was tested for allergies after a few scary body-covered-in-hives instances and I had confirmation that he is allergic to eggs, soy, and dairy. FUN! So, I have spent the better part of the last month perfecting a cake recipe that both tastes good AND E can enjoy on his big day! I wanted to share the recipe with you all, despite being a little off topic, because I know there are a lot of people out there dealing with allergies. It was also important to me that I use as little sugar as possible (but still enough so it tastes yummy) and use whole wheat flour.

E's First Birthday Spice Cake- EGG, SOY, AND DAIRY FREE:

Grease cake pans (1 -8-10" round cake pan, or 2 6" round cake pans). Preheat oven to 350˚

Mix together in large bowl:
2 tsp. Baking Powder (I prefer Rumford baking powder, as it is aluminum free)
2/3 Cup Sugar (I used the organic evaporated cane juice)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Allspice
1/2 Tsp. Ginger
1/8 tsp. Cloves
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 1/2 Cup Flour + 2 tbsp +1 tsp (I know, so scientific! ;) I used King Arthur 100% Organic White Whole Wheat Flour)

Combine the following in a small bowl:
2 tsp. White Vinegar
1 cup Sparkling Soda or Water MINUS 2 tbsp. (again, very scientific) ;) I tried using Pellegrino and Club Soda; both worked fine. You could also try Ginger Ale at a lower altitudes, but at high altitude the extra sugar messes with the whole chemical make up and causes the cake to flop)
1/3 Cup Canola Oil
1 tsp vanilla

Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix quickly until incorporated and immediately pour into greased cake pan(s). Get the pans in the oven quickly- the rising action of Baking Powder is short lived, so this is not a batter you want sitting around while you are waiting for the oven to preheat. Bake for 15 (10"round cake pan) -20 minutes (2-6" round cake pans), depending on the pan size you use- keep an eye on them and check the cake's doneness with a toothpick.

Please note this is not a gluten free recipe and it works perfectly at an altitude of 5280ft! If you are not at a high altitude, try increasing the vinegar and baking powder to 3 tsp., keeping the sparkling soda/water at 1 Cup (do not remove the 2 tbsp) and reducing the flour to 1-1/2 cups.

I'm frosting with a simple maple frosting: Confectioner's Sugar, pure maple syrup, and rice milk for E. For the big cake for everyone else, I'm making a Maple buttercream. I'm frosting later today and will share those frosting recipes if I am able to get some good measurements! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment