About us...

Two moms trying to raise their families a little greener, a little healthier, and with a whole lot of love. All this while trying to save a little green along the way. Product reviews, green ideas, money-saving tips, and more!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Freecycle

I LOVE getting things for free, who doesn't! Freecycle is one of my favorite organizations. If you are familiar with Craigslist, Freecycle is very similar but everything offered on Freecycle is absolutely free!

Direct from the freecycle site..."Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,770 groups with 7,024,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun"!

I have both offered and received quite a few items. One of my more recent acquisitions was an adorable pair of loafers (The Children's Place brand) for my son that he wore on Easter. Along with the shoes I also received clothing, and all I did was ask for it. Freecycle allows you to post an item that is available or to post looking for something. All posts must be approved by a moderator. I have both responded to offers and have posted looking for items. In order to take advantage of freecycle you must join your local freecycle group. Freecycle groups all work a little differently. The groups I belong to offer the option of being emailed when a new item is posted. I really like this feature because I can respond quickly if I would like an item that seems desirable to many people. I have found that with freecycle you have to be willing to take the good with the bad. You generally don't get to see pictures of an item and if you agree to take something it's poor freecycle etiquette to back out. If I receive a box of toys I go through the box and keep what I like and then donate the rest. Not everything is exactly my style or the quality I would like but I am willing to spend a few minutes sorting. Freecycle is a great way to be green while saving some green!

0 comments:

Post a Comment