About us...

Two moms trying to raise their families a little greener, a little healthier, and with a whole lot of love. All this while trying to save a little green along the way. Product reviews, green ideas, money-saving tips, and more!

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


Hopefully the H1N1 scares are not keeping you held up at home today foregoing trick or treating. That's not keeping me inside with my lights turned off tonight. My fear? Allergies.. Food allergies. Not that my 16 month old son will be eating candy this year, but I worry about next year and the following years that he'll go trick or treating and not get any candy he can actually eat! (For those of you who don't know, little E is allergic to eggs, soy, milk, sesame, and a few fruits.) I know, such a stupid thing to worry about, but I just LOVE Halloween and want little E to be able to enjoy it as much as I do. So, after a little bit of research, I thought I would share some allergy friendly treats in honor of Halloween with you all. After all, we ALL need a treat once in a while. Moderation, not elimination, is key when it comes to treats!

Here is a great article from Martha Stewart outlining some well-known and lesser-known allergy friendly treats. Candies like Starburst, Skittles, Dum-dums, and Dots are all on this list. But I know what you're thinking- where is the chocolate!?

My favorite chocolate treat on this list are these BOOM Choco BOOM crispy rice bars by Enjoy Life foods. Think a safe version of a Crunch bar but with a way cooler name. There is even a 75 cent off coupon for these little numbers on the link. Although I have not seen these in store or tried them yet, it looks like Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Vitamin Cottage (for you local Coloradoans) carries them and you can bet I'll be picking up one of these to stuff in Ethan's stocking this Christmas.

Have a happy and safe Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. thanks jackie. haley is allergic to nuts and this is definitely a concern of mine. i found a list of nut free candy. i'm not sure what we will do as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can'y imagine having allergies as a kid on Halloween. I was sad that I couldn't have chocolate this year and I am 23 (my 2 month old has dairy sensitivity issues :( ) Thank for the link!

    ReplyDelete