About us...

Two moms trying to raise their families a little greener, a little healthier, and with a whole lot of love. All this while trying to save a little green along the way. Product reviews, green ideas, money-saving tips, and more!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ridiculously Easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe

I'm not much of a cook or a baker. I just don't have the patience. I am lucky enough to have a husband who is a pretty good cook and he keeps us well fed. However, I am a sucker for super simple recipes. About a year ago I found a recipe for peanut butter cookies that is so incredibly easy and takes about 15 minutes from mixing bowl to tummy! These are delicious but I modified the recipe to try to make it a bit healthier. I will share both the original and modified recipes.

Original Recipe -
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the peanut butter, sugar, and egg together.
3. Roll mixture into one tablespoon size balls (or size to your liking)
4. Roll the balls in sugar
5. Place the sugar coated balls on a cookie sheet and flatten with a fork making a criss cross pattern
6. Place in oven for about 10 minutes or until the cookie tops look golden
7. Allow to cool

Modified Healthier Recipe -
1 cup organic peanut butter
1 organic egg
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup organic milled flax seed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all ingredients together
3. Roll mixture into one tablespoon size balls (or size to your liking) (omit rolling in sugar)
4. Place the peanut butter balls on a cookie sheet and flatten with a fork making a criss cross pattern
5. Place in oven for about 10 minutes or until the cookie tops look golden
6. Allow to cool

In the original recipe the sugar is used to bind the peanut butter and egg. I have tried to omit all the sugar and substitute other binding agents such as flour and greater amounts of flax seed. However, I felt that the finished product tasted too grainy. Even though all the ingredients I used are organic, and often cost more, I buy them in bulk at Costco so they ended up being less expensive per ounce than purchasing non organic at a regular grocery store.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love experimenting with recipes to make them healthier!

    ReplyDelete